Thursday, August 21, 2014

Day Four: Hellooo practical number one!

First day of Therapeutic Procedures Lab and I'm already signing up for my first practical next week. Luckily it's all about taking vital signs, and aside from a few hiccups, I'm about 90% on those.

We went from being complete amateurs (no vital sign taking experience) to having to master the skill over the weekend; then we did bed dressing and draping & positioning -- e.g. if someone has neck pain you need to position and drape them in the treatment room according to how you treat that pain (fyi - we learned that it's important to have them in a position where you can adequately get to their neck - or whatever part of their body aches).

Bed mobility was our final stop. I'd actually seen some PTAs and nursing assistants from a local home health clinic use a lot of bed mobility techniques on my grandmother a few years back, so there wasn't a whole lot of new ground there. We even got to perform these moves on one another using actual hospital beds so we could see things from the patient's perspective.

I'm learning a ton in a little time, and it's making me anxious - so anxious that one of my classmates read my heart rate at 105 (it was a time error, but it could've happened)! This is probably the most I've had to learn in such a short time. I'm still excited, though. My teacher today said that all the second semester students get to have more fun.

Hope she's right!

No comments:

Post a Comment