Thursday, July 24, 2014

Review: Day Four

Decided to kind of take it easy with the memorization today and mostly reflect on what I've learned the last few days. Taking in manageable chunks of information at a time. Find (or make) some questions to test my knowledge, answer (or look up answer), rinse and repeat.

So you could say it's been a bit hard translating 3-3 1/2 chapters into one long study session, but my hope is that if I simply keep at it long enough it'll stick.

This is how I spent most of my time in A&P, basically, just going over the fundamentals. Luckily my textbook has exercises that put my knowledge to better use than simply "knowing the answer;" we had a whole section of clinical thinking exercises that place our terms in realistic situations we may or may not encounter, and had us thinking through the problems until we came to proper conclusions (it's almost like you have a bit of lee-way in terms of said conclusions; more than one way to peel a potato, so the expression goes).

So that's been a fun reprieve. Any of you out there enjoy studying A&P so much you can't wait to get to those sections? They do help put things in perspective. I also enjoyed creating case studies surrounding health dilemmas and having to think them through with my classmates. I've never felt so happy putting "hypoglycemia" on a piece of paper when we came to the diagnosis.

2 comments:

  1. What text are you using for review? I start a PTA program on the 19th and have been using flashcards and an A&P Coloring Book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Katherine! Thanks for commenting. I've been using a copy of Martini and Nash's "Fundamentals of Anatomy and Physiology" (my class's textbook). The clinical thinking sections came from a lab manual bundled with the text I bought at my school's bookstore. I think most schools follow a similar trend.

    That's excellent about the PTA program! I officially start on the 18th, though my orientation is on the 12th.

    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete