Friday, July 25, 2014

Review: Day Five

Today I had to go back to work at my library job (which I've been intermittently doing this week) so I couldn't get a whole lot of study/review time in, but I did break out the muscle O/I/A/N sheets and start to glance at them a bit. It's hard to study on 15 minutes of break time, however, so I think I'll have to give it another go later on tonight perhaps.

I'll be finishing up my review work this week and you won't see a post from me on Saturday (Saturdays will be my off days/research for big article days). I'll pop back on Sunday though and give the "long article" thing a go for the first of it. I have a few ideas in the pipeline, but I have yet to fully form them in my head and research them. Again, this is something that requires more time and preparation than I'm clearly giving it at the moment...

I'd be interested in hearing topics from any of you out there who might be learning about the human body or anything physical therapy/medical related. I can even make it about something fitness oriented (sport physiology totally overlaps with the purpose of this blog) as long as we concern ourselves with covering the topic in some level of technical detail. Maybe to give an example: the physiology of gait training/how it relates to balance and performance in sports? As opposed to just a general article about walking upright.

You get the idea.

I'll be thinking about it. I'll get back to you on Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how related my comment really is, but I walk/run with someone who experiences knee pain the day after a run. I wondered if it was related, possibly, to his gait, as he tends to land on the ball of his foot before the heel when running. I run with a heel-to-toe step/landing and generally have no trouble. Is one better, from a detailed anatomical perspective, in your opinion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a debate going around, particularly after the whole barefoot-running craze became big 6-7 years ago. In my experience as a heel-toe person myself, I've identified some knee issues I have on my left leg after longer or harder runs which certain internet sources relate to problems with quadriceps weakness. It hasn't been enough of an issue to worry too much about though I have made an effort to try to toughen up in those areas so it won't continue.

    As for his running style, I know part of the debate about ball-foot running is that it places more stress in certain parts of the foot rather than others (which were arguably designed to take that stress); some people talk about how we've evolved to run away from predators using that method. I dunno. Not much of an exercise physiologist myself. I can talk to some perhaps, and get back to you on that one.

    ReplyDelete